Good character. It is so rare today, isn't it? In fact, when electing public officials, we separate their character from their accomplishments. But is this logical?
Not at all. One's character can no more be separated from what one does than the root of a tree can be separated from its fruit. In other words, if the root of a tree is bad, the fruit of that tree will also be bad. Conversely, if the root of a tree is good, its fruit will also be good.
Character flows out of your root, which is your spirit, just as surely and predictably as fruit flows out of its root. So, what can you do to make sure your root is good so your fruit will also be good?
Photo Source: Lightstock 62571
Here are a few tips:
1) Make your relationship with Jesus Christ the top priority in your life. Let nothing interfere with it--not your schoolwork, your job, your family, or your friends. Jesus is our example. He put His relationship with the Father above His own family.
Once, when he was teaching, someone told him that His mother and brothers were standing outside and couldn't get in because of the crowd. Jesus replied, "My mother and my brothers are all those who hear God's word and obey it"(Luke 8: 21). According to this statement, would you qualify as a member of God's family?
2) Be faithful and consistent in prayer. As busy as Jesus was, He always made time to pray. Notice I said made time not found time. We always make time for what we really want to do.
Prayer is a major tool in helping you stay close to Jesus and a major weapon in fighting off the enemy. Do not neglect prayer. Start your day with it, end your day with it, and pray throughout the day. Prayer is simply talking to the Father, so keep a running conversation with Him.
3) Run from evil. There will be many times in your life when friends, classmates, or, sadly, even family members who do not know Jesus will entice you to do wrong. Resist their enticements firmly yet lovingly. Remember you are a soldier in Christ's Army, and you want to please your Commander-in-Chief above all else.
Remember also that Satan's goal is to keep you from your destiny. He will use every means possible to reach his goal. He will especially use those areas in which you are the most vulnerable. So be on guard!
Yes, good character costs a lot, but the rewards are so worth it. When you are tempted not to pay the price--and you will be tempted--remember this: How much did it cost for Jesus to save you?
When we think of the price He paid so that we could have eternal life, any price we pay for good character is minuscule in comparison.
YOUR TURN: What do you do to develop Godly character? Please share your insights in the comment box below. Thanks!
Copyright 2016 by Dr. MaryAnn Diorio. All Rights Reserved.
To Become a Gabriel Guy, you need to qualify as follows:
- You need to be born again. This means that you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and the Lord of your life.If you don't know how to do this, click here.
- You need to have a desire to tell others about Jesus wherever you go and whenever you can.
- You need to commit to following Jesus by reading the Bible and praying every day and by obeying Jesus' command to love Him and to love your neighbor.
You can find me on the following Social Media Venues:
Blog (Matters of the Heart): http://www.networkedblogs.com/blog/maryanndiorioblog
Amazon Author Central: www.amazon.com/author/maryanndiorio
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/drmaryanndiorio/YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/drmaryanndiorio